At a high level, ChatGPT is a deep learning model that uses a neural network to generate human-like text. The specific version of the model, ChatGPT-3, is based on a technique called transformer architecture. This type of architecture allows the model to recognize patterns and structures in language. It does this by processing a sequence of tokens and generating an output sequence.
The model took in a massive dataset of text, including books, articles, websites, and more. During the training process, the model took in millions of examples of text and asked to predict the next word in each sequence.
The way of interacting with ChatGPT is to provide a prompt or a question. Then, the model generates a response based on the patterns it has learned from the training data. The result is a highly intelligent natural language processing (NLP) tool.
What Does GPT (Generative Pre-trained Transformer) Mean?
“Generative” in GPT represents its ability to generate natural human language text. “Pre-trained” represents the fact that the model has already been trained on some finite dataset. “Transformer”, on the other hand, represents the underlying machine-learning architecture that powers GPT.
What are the Reasons for Using ChatGPT?
As a language model trained by OpenAI, ChatGPT has a wide range of capabilities and can perform many different tasks. Here are some of the things that ChatGPT can do:
- Answer questions: ChatGPT can respond to questions in natural language, providing information on a wide variety of topics.
- Generate text: It can generate human-like text in a variety of styles and tones, making it useful for content creation and text generation.
- Summarize text: ChatGPT can provide a concise overview of long articles or documents, making it easy to quickly understand the main ideas.
- Translate text: It has the ability to translate text from one language to another, making it useful for communicating with people who speak different languages.
- Generate poetry: ChatGPT can create original poems in a variety of styles, providing inspiration and examples for poets and writers.
- Provide writing feedback: ChatGPT analyzes writing and provides feedback on factors such as grammar, style, and tone, helping writers improve their craft.
How is ChatGPT Trained?
A deep learning technique called transformer architecture trained chatGPT. The specific version of the model, ChatGPT-3, took in a massive dataset of over 45 terabytes of text.
Supervised Fine Tuning (SFT) Model
In the initial development, the GPT-3 model evolved by contracting 40 contractors to produce a supervised training dataset, in which the input has a known outcome that the model can learn. Inputs, or prompts, were actual user entries into the Open API.
The next step is to use a reward model to improve the quality of the generated responses. The reward model evaluates the output of the SFT model. Then it assigns a score based on how well it matches the desired output.
Reinforcement Learning Model
The final step is to use a reinforcement learning approach to further improve the GPT’s performance. The Proximal Policy Optimization algorithm involves having the AI chatbot interact with users in a simulated environment. Then it receives a reward signal based on how well it performs.
The input of human labelers trains the model. That’s why the core part of the evaluation feeds on human feedback, leading labelers to rate the quality of the model outputs.
Three high-level criteria evaluate the model:
- Helpfulness: Assessing the model’s ability to follow and infer user instructions.
- Truthfulness: On closed-domain tasks, assessing the model’s proclivity for hallucinations (making up facts). The model is tested using the TruthfulQA dataset.
- Harmlessness: Assessing whether the model’s output is appropriate, disparages a protected class, or contains derogatory content.
How to Use ChatGPT?
- Choose a ChatGPT API or Library: There are various APIs and libraries available for using ChatGPT. Choose the one that best suits your needs and programming experience.
- Create an Account and Get an API Key (if applicable): In the case of using an API, creating an account and getting an API key will be necessary to use ChatGPT. Follow the instructions provided by the API provider.
- Install Required Libraries (if using a Library): In the case of using a library like Hugging Face Transformers, installing the required libraries in the programming environment will be necessary.
- Initialize ChatGPT: Once having the required libraries or API keys, initialize the ChatGPT model in the program.
- Input the Prompt: To use ChatGPT, it is necessary to provide a prompt that describes the context or topic of the conversation if you want to generate a response.
- Generate Response: Once providing the prompt, the ChatGPT model generates a response based on the input prompt and the context of its training data.
- Evaluate and Refine the Response: The quality of the generated response can vary depending on the input prompt and other factors. Check the response since it still needs help discerning facts from misinformation.
- Repeat: Repeat steps 5-7 as many times as necessary to generate a conversation or a series of responses that meet your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
OpenAI is a nonprofit research company that aims to develop and direct artificial intelligence (AI) in ways that benefit humanity as a whole. The company was founded by Elon Musk and Sam Altman in 2015 and is headquartered in San Francisco, California, and backed by billions in funding from Microsoft.
ChatGPT is an AI tool of OpenAI’s most recent language model, and it represents a significant improvement over GPT-3.5. Like many Large Language Models, it generates text in a variety of styles and for a variety of purposes, but with far greater precision, detail, and coherence. It is the next generation in OpenAI’s line of Large Language Models, with a strong emphasis on interactive conversations. ChatGPT is the latest step in OpenAI’s iterative deployment of increasingly safe and useful generative AI systems.